Thursday, July 2, 2009

Be careful of what you wish for


Just this past Sunday I was sitting on my front stoop,sipping coffee and thinking about all the future flower beds and plantings I'd like to put in. As usual my day dreams came to an abrupt halt when my eyes fell upon the enormous "garbage" tree which towers over the front of my home and blocks any hope of even a trickle of sunlight dappling upon my sparse landscaping. I refer to it as the "garbage" tree because first, I have no clue to what type of tree it is and second it sheds various tree debris year round, requiring constant clean up. My husband joined me on the stair and glared at the tree with equal disdain. "I HATE that tree" I told him. "Yeah, me too" he replied. I jokingly added that if the tree were ever to fall, at least it would fall away from the house.
Upon my return from a family shopping trip yesterday the wind began to pick up as pulled my little VW bug into the garage. Small hail which soon turned into large ice cubes began to cover the area. Instead of making a mad dash to the house we decided to wait it out inside the garage. The wind was howling by this point and I watched siding being ripped from the side of our garage. I instructed the kids to get away from he windows as debris began to fly over the top of my house. The freakish storm ended almost as quickly as it started. When I opened the door to the garage it took me a minute to realize that the garbage tree was no longer there. As you can see from the picture....boy was I wrong about it's path of descent.

4 comments:

Edna Bridges said...

The good Lord does take us at our word some times, doesn't He? Enjoy your new flower beds and plantings.

Glad you and your family are safe.

Mouse Droppings Folk Art said...

Noelle...hoping you can plant the bestest garden ever in place of the garbage tree...glad everyone is OK. suzieq

Little Dollings by Brenda O. said...

I'm glad no one was hurt, Noelle.. I've a similar pic from 15 years ago, and our street was blocked for a week! I got new flower beds out of the deal, too!!

Hang in there.. will look forward to updates! Welcome to Blogland!!

hugs,
Brenda

Tricky Stitches Primitives said...

Mr. Insurance informed me that it does not cover my flowers and it will only cover 2 sides of the house for damages. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the difference in price in aluminum which is on there and vinyl is enough to do the whole house..now this lays in the contractors hands